Andrey Dmitriev, “I thought – and then I was hit by a car“
Only the writer Andrei Dmitriev in Moscow got a huge diploma laureate “Yasnaya Polyana” for the novel “The Peasant and the teenager.” A successful product is a short-list of two awards: “Russian Booker” and “The Big Book.” On Thursday, we agreed to meet. But on this day with him and there was a dramatic story on the transition.
The light of the great Lion
On Friday, true to his word, Andrew still came to the “MK” and said not a word that is injured. And we started talking with him about the natural premium “Yasnaya Polyana” and Tolstoy.
- Everything connected with Tolstoy, for me holy. Tolstoy – my favorite character of Russian history. I think his life, his destiny and activities justify everything in our history that can not be justified otherwise. Thick – this is a significant result of Russian history. He was a man of giant mind, conscience and honor, somehow managed to answer for everything and everyone.
- You – winner Apollon Grigoriev, you have translated into different European languages. And how do you feel about literary prizes?
- Actually, I especially literary awards never interested her. And in early childhood I liked to play with the Order of the Red Star of my grandfather. He’s so heavy, pleasant to the touch.
- Andrew, that you, a man of good family traditions, the concept of “home.” In short, your existential view of the house?
- Oh, it’s a very difficult question for me. (After a pause) House – this is what we all seek. For us, our whole country was home. We want to find a home that would have been for us not only to cover, shelter, not only of our shell, but our mirror, that is, the manifestation of the soul. Some people do it, someone – no. In fact, writers – the people homeless.
That’s why it’s so important Yasnaya Polyana. That’s a real home. He focused, and self-Tolstoy and all his misfortunes, his joy, and all the troubles. There raced naischastliveyshie moments of his life when he was in Jump 4 love when he wrote “War and Peace”. And there he was overtaken by the monstrously heavy last years of his life. But it’s always been home.
- In the book, Paul Basinsky many interesting, documented personal privacy Tolstoy. I was struck by the details of Tolstoy love to peasant. Maybe this love is not caused great suffering to Leo, but because he did not drive from the heart of the saving love of silence.
- The story of his connection with Matryona was married to Tolstoy. He really loved her and fathered a son. But really only liked Sophia Andreevnu. It was totally crazy love. It was all, and the end of life – hysteria, hatred …
With Elena Kostyukovich, translator Ulbert Eco on Russian language.
Writer Andrei Dmitriev – one of the finalists of the “Russian Booker” and “Big Book” (7 photos)
- In mladye years, according to him, the passion of Jump 4 love, he was indefatigable.
- Man! But after marriage – only his wife. Both of them were jealous of each other. Of course, he broke the psyche of his young wife, showing her intimate diary.
- It was an act of repentance! In front of her, in front of the deity, he cleansed the soul. This recognition is a man possessed flesh was so badly written that the texts wounded consciousness of his young wife.
A woman in the house of the writer
- Andrew, we have gone with you to the home of Yasnaya Polyana and in your own home is the place you provided for the women? Who is she? Goddess? Girlfriend?
- I do not have a generalized, abstract look. When I look at a woman perceive it specifically. It can be a friend, and the hostess, even brownies – anyone, it can destroy the house. It all depends on who she is. If we fall in love rationally on the basis of some of the preferred qualities, but it is not so.
- Do not rule out the influence of some mystical interventions?
- Natasha, I’m a very sober man, though a romantic warehouse. You made me look for an answer. I think the house is, to a large extent – is an attempt to escape from loneliness. Ideally, a woman in the house and should be an escape from this loneliness.
In the film world
- What do you live? In today’s life it is difficult to live without a paycheck.
- I – trained screenwriter. For more than 30 years in this business. I live scenarios – they are my earnings.
- What picture on your scenario and well filmed by director meets your mental system?
- Oh! To some extent recently filmed “Alice-book dealer” Alexei Rudakov. Frankly, this is a disaster of my life, I do not think the picture on my scripts adequate reflection of me. Writer writes cake mix. The author is the director. The writers who would be proud of their scripts, I knew a little bit. And the paintings worthy of pride, too little. But there who envy. For example, Paul Finn: he participated in the creation of one of the most brilliant films Ilya Averbakh ‘declaration of love. ” But the scenario in my life there is no such scenes. But the scenario fees, no matter how they are disproportionately low, yet somehow make it possible to hold on to.
- Admit it, Andrew, whom filmmakers think of our prophet, genius?
- In the Russian cinema of the prophets, not really. But, of course, there are geniuses. Another thing – the one I love. This is not the same. Tarkovsky – a genius, but he’s a complete stranger to me directed, with the exception of “Andrei Rublev” and part of “The Mirror.” The film “Ivan’s Childhood” in the spirit can not stand. But they blame the writer who lied to everyone, not director: Tarkovsky sought his own style.
I love Ilya Averbakh love Gleb Panfilov, especially the film “Mr. Speaker.” This is the best Soviet film, bearing in mind the “Soviet” – no figs in your pocket, without praise, sober film about the Soviet people, the Soviet reality, free, sober, powerful, but just a grand movie! If someone wants to understand what was the Soviet life, smell it, leaving behind the scenes monstrous Soviet way of life, and see the core of Soviet life, then of course you need to watch “Mr. Speaker.”
- I remember your sharp article in the big book “New Banner” that Russia has received in return.
- Unfortunately, my hopes for change were not justified. I had hoped: the country’s leaders will understand that the main resource of the country – it is a personal freedom of citizens, quite inexhaustible resource. But somehow, this important resource buried in the ground.
- The hope is running out.
- Do not we all began, and we all end. We want to make things happen for the better within our biological existence.
- Let’s talk, Andrew, better about your personal character. When you write about the passions of his characters, you feel if your own mental stress? For example, cast the characters in the depths of a passion, and he could not help her become a carrier.
- Or I’ll certainly support it, has been, and still am, or watch it for a specific people. I’ve come up with very little. In fact I write about people, not about his frame of mind. And the people – it’s passion. And, of course, worried along with the characters when I write about them. If you write a cold and aloof, you probably false bowels out.
- Your communication environment – creative people. Seen among them completely exhausted creative life? This condition is commonly referred to as “tear” …
- Unfortunately, people with anguish, with complexes with a broken sense of its failure – a lot. About their condition can always be found on the eyes.
- What are the eyes? Of detachment?
- Well, no. These eyes look at you with suspicion. Hello to you, he’s trying to guess what I think of him. It certainly suggests that I’d be lying to him. This unsuspecting eyes … But it is put on the face of certain rubber smile.
- The nature of facial features masterfully captured. Unaware always rehearsing their special acting.
- Almost all the people to some extent acting. But, thank God, whom I affectional coexisting with whom to meet and make friends in the literary environment – all these people who understand. For me, this is the ideal person Genrikhovich Leonid Zorin. I know him from 73rd year. He is not only a playwright, but also a brilliant writer. Wise, calm and sober people. Yes, and my peers – Alex Slapovsky, Marina Vishnevetskaya – that’s not fractured, all the people who understand.
With sister Rima in the country.
- You journalists, like all mysticism. So here is the last month of life opened to me a lot of life’s problems. All the time I was in a state of some social fears. Always afraid that will not come any money and I do not pay a loan, I do not get somewhere, forget something important or fall into a situation from which I can not get out.
- In bulk glitches!
- Probably, every morning waking up with a feeling of anxiety: will I work? Will there be a signed contract with me? .. In short – a whole set of fears, though justified. And as a result – Yesterday I drove over to the car. I was going through a transition. The car began to move, do not see me, threw me into the unknown. In the air, in a moment, I thought, “It would not have hit his head against the hood or on the asphalt.” Fortunately, I fell very well – bruised hip bone. I must say, I was hit by a very nice woman.
- Beware of pretty women.
- Actually, I have a good hit. She’s a doctor and more scared than I was willing to assist me, to pay money to take him to the hospital. Checked, as all works for me. Asked for forgiveness. She remained at home unattended 4-year-old child. I confess that I myself clapping ears: it was for the transition, but looking in the opposite direction …
When it happened, I suddenly realized why I was last month zaporoshen some stupid things. And here’s a sign of destiny – now you could die or become crippled. Rejoice – you’re still alive. And do not become bitter!
- Yes, you have conscientious nature, so all is forgiven.
- No, no, just sitting in the car a good man. I realized that I experienced a woman who wanders me. She is 20 years behind the wheel, but this it did not happen.
- And the writer, of course, now reflects on the moral lesson.
- Yes, we’re afraid of. Us in life just do not have basic votes. That’s it. And yesterday, I felt a sense of gratitude rush of fate, life.
Lithuanian Christian roots
- There was no rush to thank the powers of heaven? This they spared you, have protected and saved.
- There is such a feeling. These two days I think about it.
- Are you a believer? As a Russian …
- If I were a Russian man, he would be an unbeliever. The majority of Russian people do not believe in God, and in rituals, believe in amulets. Truly Orthodox enough. I consider myself a Christian, or rather, would like to become a Christian. Feel the same way and at the sight of an Orthodox church, and the Catholic mass. I’m not sectarian. Not a man of the pack.
- Your exclamation “if I were a Russian” – is of interest to your nationality. Explain.
- I was born in a family of philologists Leningrad University Viktor Dmitriev and Niele Patkauskayte.
- Here is the solution: you’re half Lithuanian.
- Yes, my mother studied in a girls’ school in Kaunas, perfectly knew Latin. Niele and Victor sang in the famous choir Sandler. And on the 5th year made me into the light. After receiving diplomas, the young family moved to Pskov, where his father spent his childhood. Later, he devoted himself to the Komsomol and party work, he taught at the Academy of Social Sciences, and during the restructuring was in command Yakovlev. My mother first taught Russian language and literature at the school and then, in Moscow, worked in the publishing house “Science.”
- The Lithuanian part of your blood, of course, finds comfort in the Catholic church. I married into the Lithuanian poetry – poetry translated Dali Sauskaytite. She liked my translations, they were printed in several youth poetry collections. And I, the Orthodox, too appeasing Orthodox and Catholic churches.
Trying to learn the identity of
- Andrew, you sacrifice inherent in the name of friendship?
- Well, what to say? I really appreciate this sacrifice. I’ll try to remember if I was going to great expense in the name of friendship … No. But let’s think: wife of a friend – taboo for me.
- Do not tempt?
- Do not allow yourself this.
- Do not dare to think?
- (Laughs) and I venture to think can. But do not commit. This sacrifice or self-sacrifice? I do not know. However, the wife of an enemy – is a worthy trophy.
- You, the writer and screenwriter, is whether or climbs into the soul of the problem of human conscience?
- Of course, it takes. Actually, I – the man, all the while conscious that my conscience – not starched shirtfront. Not at all. All the time we have to think about some of their sins. Yes and no sin, that word is not from here. I have always been oppressed by the feeling that I did something hath made, or what not to do. When my parents died in the summer of 2001 in the Vladimir region during the fire, have long suffered the pain that I did not pay attention to them warm. The tragedy happened at night. They had a small house – chalet, such as giving …
Worries me and other personal tragedy that I did not have time to make peace with my dear man, who is no longer on the ground … I find it hard to talk about it – I’m afraid it will touch and hurt those close to me emotionally.
- Tell me about her son. You now have changed address: left Moscow and Russia and fell in love with Ukraine. But what about the son?
- My 11 year old son Artem – my deep joy. It is beautiful, very smart, timid and adult. Learning to play the cello and organ. It refers to the hobby with a passion. A lot of work, sporty – playing tennis.
- A Dad?
- Dad does not play tennis. My father left the family to a new life. But I value our good relationship with Artem. Only what about my retirement from the family to tell everyone?
With Leonid Yuzefovich.
- In Moscow, Andrew, do not hide anything from a human trial. It is better not idle talk – learn firsthand about marital discord. What’s wrong with a sensitive novelist? The sudden as lightning, Jump 4 love?
- Yes …
- This is typical of contemporary fiction writers.
- I moved to Kiev and more or less settled down. I like it very much. The beautiful city. By the way, Kiev was for me. I have long suffered: Moscow is becoming increasingly estranged for me. It was annoying. Kiev – sweet, beautiful, very human city. I’ve got a lot of friends. And, thank God, I have not lost friends in Moscow. Some of them came to Kiev on his own business, and there we see each other more often than in Moscow. I work with a very nice young publisher. Now busy drawing up and filled his portfolio. I have a lot to do in Kiev! My earnings have remained in Moscow.
- Has the rhythm of life rejuvenated writer Dmitrieva?
- Began to travel more! Flooded new experience. I must admit, I got there a strong impulse.
- The radical lifestyle change is likely to affect a change of style. Calm, slow intently to the being-existence of heroes give way to impulse and unpredictability?
- Anything is possible. After I finished the novel, “The Peasant and the teenager”, the year did not write prose. But this happened in the summer of personal change, and feel: originate in the head four of the plot. This I have not had.
- One of them climbs ahead?
- Intends to give life to all four subjects.
- In my mind sticking Lermontov’s words: “I walked on the chest, I sacrificed myself.” Have you bring such a high sacrifice?
- Oh, no. I am the same person peacetime – was not on the barricades, no one pulled out from under the ruins, risking a brick on the head. But every time when it comes into this adventure as writing a novel, and it is 3-4 years of life, you risk losing a failure, you realize that it is a long time to just throw it away, although any work gives some sense of purchase.
- Well, if at that time certainly need to switch to the script? So work on the novel stops?
- Scenario – a question of time. You fall into a time pressure, the producers hate you. Delayed – you hurry, and then went budge prose. Fits somehow. Fortunately, the script and prose in my head – two different ovens and bake bread they are different. Probably my hemisphere divided their responsibilities – they never intersect. Scenarios – this craft. A completely different language. They do not expend his literary agent.
I admit, I’m getting tired of scriptwriting. Even more so – in our cinema unfavorable situation. The pure joy of this profession brings me a little bit.
- You inspire? There is a tendency to the prophecies?
- No, I am not a prophet. But peculiarly suggestible. Tell me something, and I always take everything at face value. I live it at some point.
- We can assume that the condition can be instilled some salvation, to bring you serenity?
- A dangerous thing! It is necessary to straighten themselves in time. It is better to look at the matter coldly, from the side.
- In your new Ukrainian nest there things from the past life?
- Nothing. This is a small removable flat on Oleg’s Hill, where the prince was bitten by a snake. In Kiev, everything is interesting. Wonderful city oozes historical subjects.
- There’s probably a writer to survive easier?
- There’s a lot cheaper and cheaper. Compared to Moscow, you feel even without the money a wealthy person.
- Andrew, in the end of our conversation, asked several questions from the questionnaire 19-year-old Marcel Proust. He invented it and answered. Qualities that prefer in men?
- (After a pause) Um.
- And the women?
- I arranged differently. Usually I start from a particular female character.
- Well, then I’ll specify: what attracted you to your last Kiev girl?
- The liveliness of life perception. More specifically, the responsiveness of the soul.
- What satisfies friends?
- Humanity and talent. In all, more expensive – soulful talent.
- What most do not like in a man?
- Chuzhemyslie, inertia perceived from the outside absurd principles, views and facilities.
- Your dream of happiness. What is it?
- Oh! I’m happy.
- And there is a feeling of complete happiness?
- Feelings can change from day to day. But now I’m happy.
- For you, what was the greatest misfortune?
- The death of my loved ones. I have experienced it more than once.
- Guess who’s your favorite author …
- Yes, it’s Tolstoy.
- A favorite poets?
- I have it all in motion: that favorite – Pushkin, then – Z, the favorite – Hodasevich. We have so many great poets – all the states of the soul!
- That’s fine. They all deserve admiration and love. What a talent you would like to be apart of God calling to be a writer?
- I have a good ear for music, if I started to live again, would be either a musician or a biologist, or a painter.
- Probably, once you take a brush and paint watercolors or oil?
- As a child, every tasted. But since then not picked up any pencil or paintbrush: understand – do not go to the artists. Manila literature. And all the other passions as cut off. And fond of music since childhood. I love to sing anything. My friend Andrew Nemzer – we had studied together at the Moscow State University Philology – when I went to university to become the screenwriting department, joked, “Dmitriev will not stop there. He will go to voice. ” In every joke has some truth. I Jump 4 love to sing songs salon emigre 20 – 30′s, some spicy gypsy music.
- Do you have some deep-seated motto?
- No. I have a motto that I envy. Beautiful avtoepitafiya Gregory Pans: “The world was catching me, but did not catch.” I is currently not manage to say.
- You can now briefly define the condition of your spirit?
- Condition of the rich, working. I would say – elastic.
- Well, it is possible to make the leap.